Are you interested in learning construction and leadership skills, road-building, and accessing well-paying employment? Are you a high school drop-out who wants to get your HSED/GED? If so, Cream City YouthBuild may be for you!
Cream City YouthBuild prepares young adults for careers and employment in the construction industry through a focus on attaining a high school diploma and construction skills while receiving exposure and access to employment in the construction trades. YouthBuild occupational skill training provides industry-recognized construction credentials. Participants work on construction sites acquiring road-building and other construction and life skills through a combination of hands-on learning and mentorship. Services include industry-supported curricula, credentialing options, and tutoring.
The program is designed to create a skilled workforce either in the construction industry, through the rehabilitation and construction of housing for homeless and low-income individuals and families, or in other in-demand industries or occupations. The program also benefits the larger community because it provides increased access to affordable housing.
- Milwaukee County resident, ages 18 – 24
- A school dropout or an individual who has dropped out of school and has reenrolled AND
- Is one or more of the following:
- A member of a low-income family
- A youth in foster care
- An offender
- A youth who is an individual with a disability
- The child of a current or formerly incarcerated parent OR
- A migrant youth.
Exceptions: Individuals MAY be eligible for YouthBuild if such individuals:
- Are basic skills deficient, despite attainment of a secondary school diploma or its recognized State equivalent (including recognized certificates of attendance or similar documents for individuals with disabilities); OR
- Have been referred by a local secondary school for participation in a YouthBuild program leading to the attainment of a secondary school diploma if such referral is to a YouthBuild program offering a secondary school diploma.